Friday, April 29, 2005

Exploring the Dark Side

YinYang
It's been a while since I posted anything. The Schiavo thing kind of wiped me out. The studio has been crazy busy, and then there's yard work - which I use as an excuse, even though I really haven't done much. Time for the townhouse! I happened apon a lefty blog I found fascinating. I started reading it and found myself totally sucked in by how much these people seemed to dispise and distrust all things Republican, Christian and conservative in general. The writer of this blog, Cynthia's Interests, is a grad student and is articulate and intellegent as are the regular contributers to her posts. they all seem fervent and committed to thier ideology, which is absolutely the opposite of mine. So I couldn't quite resist the temptation to enter the fray. I have commented on several of her little articles and was instantly rebuffed, in a very polite and congenial way, for playing and poluting thier sandbox. However, they seem facinated with me as an oddity so I may continue from time to time to offer my insights as to how utterly wrong they are, of course in a like manner, polite and congenial. Check it out if you can, it's a great view into the thinking process of the other side.

Here's an exmple - a recent post at Cynthia's Interests
"I really like these editorials. It shows the sickness that is creeping into the American society and that sickness is called Christianizing this country. I’m really amazed that this is even happening. If things continue at this rate, I may have to become a bible totin Christian, especially since I've read recently that you may be considered un-American or a non-citizen if you are an atheist. I wonder if that also applies to pagans. Things are really beginning to escalate out of control either way you look at it.


"Our goal is a Christian Nation.... We have a Biblical duty, we are called by God to conquer this country. We don't want equal time. We don't want Pluralism. We want theocracy. Theocracy means God rules. I've got a hot flash. God rules."
-- Randall Terry, Head of Operation Rescue, speaking in Fort Wayne, Indiana, on April 15, 1993, as reported the following day in The News-Sentinel.

When so many Republican leaders and their evangelical allies sound so much like Randall Terry, we can only wonder whether the Grand Old Party will ever again find the voice of reason."

My Answer.
Whoa! Christianity as a creeping sickness? I'm a bit shocked. It's intellectually lazy to take something Randall Terry said 12 years ago and interpolate that into another sky is falling scenario in which armies of gun carrying, Bush stickered simpletons with bad comb overs bang on your door checking on how many crosses you have displayed on your walls. Trust me, it's gonna be OK. Randall Terry is intentionally controversial and inflamatory, not unlike some of the kooky lefties out there like Michael Moore. Basically I listen to what these folks say, and then dial it back about 50 percent. that's probably closer to the truth. Terry's big issue is abortion, I get that. I happen to agree with his point of view, but not the rhetoric or means. I think there is plenty of reason left in the majority of us on the right. Although I am working on my comb over!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Scud,

Although I took the most inflammatory statement from the entire article, what being done in Congress in the name of religion is still reprehensible. It is really interesting reading your take on things. We are so opposite. And just think I don't even consider myself a democrat.